2 years ago
Thursday, March 18, 2010
A friendly letter
Dear Computer,
Welcome back! I am so glad that your USB ports are fixed and that it was covered under warranty. You have no idea how I have missed you. The first few days, I constantly wandered back over to where you usually sat and wasn't sure what to do with myself. I actually sometimes found myself moving the mouse around, although there was no computer there. Twenty days without you was difficult, my friend, but it also alerted me to some disturbing facts. I am a little too dependent on you and things are going to have to change between us. I'm not breaking up with you, I love you too much for that, but I have to set some boundaries in order for us to have a healthy relationship.
In your time away, I was able to read two novels, take random naps, play more with my kids, stay up on the laundry and housecleaning and accomplish many more random tasks. I learned that you actually can accomplish something in 5 minutes, when I would have usually just wasted that time checking email or facebook. I do not need to know what everyone is doing all day, and can be perfectly content checking you a couple times a day and CLOSING you for the rest of the time. Of course, you will be needed for projects, picture editing, blogging, etc. but you have to stop wasting my precious little bits of time through out the day.
I do not want my children to remember me constantly on the computer or the phone (I'll save the letter to my phone for another day), and so as difficult as it may be, you need to understand you are not my priority. Things are changing, dear friend, and I need to have some discipline. Thanks for understanding, and please don't break again.
Love, Amy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Hoping this intervention works for you. That would mean there is hope for me. I am trying but it is hard. The thing that hit home was you saying you don't want your girls to remember their mom sitting in front of the computer. Thanks for the reminder. May just need to print that out and tape it next to my laptop!!!
Sometimes I think about how much more time I would have if I didn't nickle and dime five to ten (to 60) minutes here and there with FBing, blogging, Rpattz stalking etc. Then I push those thoughts right out of my mind. Maybe you'll inspire me to try a little harder to step away from the screen. The length of this comment indicates I'm not having too much success so far.
Post a Comment